The three most important thing in a long distance relationship- love, trust, and communication. You need these 3 core values to maintain a long distance relationship.
Are you in a long distance relationship due to job relocation, school or personal matters? Whatever the case maybe, you need to build trust to survive a long distance. Without trust, there cannot be love. Trust is the foundation for all.. and here are ways to go about building the trust in your relationship.
- Make sure you are transparent with each other: You need to be honest with your partner and make sure to make sure that, there is complete transparency in the relationship. There’s no point keeping secrets from someone you love so deeply.
- Commit to the relationship and stick with it: Discuss your levels of commitment. The last thing you’d want in a relationship where you put so much effort is a mismatch in commitment levels. And equally importantly, stick to your commitment.
- Give each other right amount of space: Every individual in a relationship needs his/her own personal space, as well. Talk about it, and make sure you make each other comfortable. Don’t be overbearing, but don’t be detached either.
- Insecurity: When your lover is far away, you’re bound to wonder what he/she is up to, and whether or not there’s ‘someone else’. Address these issues, and be clear about what bothers you. Furthermore, it’s necessary to assume that they wouldn’t do anything to hurt you. It’s an integral part of trusting each other.
- Keep planning visits: In a long-distance relationship, the time when you finally get to meet your partner is when all the effort seems worthwhile. So make plans to visit each other often, take a weekend trip to a pleasant destination, and once in a while, surprise him/her!