They say a great marriage is not something that just happens, it is something that must be created. And to create that special marriage, you should be ready to work for it. I mean we all want happiness, peace in our homes, but, it all does not come easy except we fight for it.
If you have been looking for ways where you can have a sustainable marriage, then you should read through this 10 wonderful commandment. Hope it helps…
- Say something nice about each other: At least once a day, compliment your spouse. For example, thank your husband for driving the kids to school, or tell your wife how much you appreciate her for making dinner. Daily compliments help boost marital satisfaction and counter the feelings of under-appreciation that ruin many relationships.
- Pass over the past: Don’t hold onto the mistakes that your spouse did in the past. This can create bitterness and division. Most importantly, don’t bring up the past or old grudges when you’re fighting about a present problem, as that creates unfair conflict.
- Practice kindness: If you practice courtesy and kindness, it can help improve your relationship and turn potentially negative situations into opportunities to cooperate and communicate. One of the most basic ways to do this is using a pleasant tone when speaking with each other, even if you’re tired or grumpy.
- Set realistic expectations: Neither you nor your partner is perfect. Understanding this simple truth, and having realistic expectations about each other, and what your relationship can give you helps avoid the conflict and bitterness created when one person can’t meet the other person’s highest expectations.
- Take proactive steps not reactive steps: Don’t wait for something bad to happen in your relationship before taking steps to be a good spouse. Even when your marriage is going well, constantly keep an eye out for things you can do to make your spouse happy or to improve your relationship.
- Flick on you ‘open’ sign: You’re not a store with set business hours. For a happy and successful long-term relationship, you must be ready to be available to your spouse whenever he needs you for a hug, a talk or simply for emotional support. This takes a certain level of selflessness, as your partner may sometimes need you the most when you’re exhausted or stressed.
- Upgrade to the newest version of life: Don’t let your marriage fall into a boring rut. Allow yourself to be open to new experiences and new ways of doing things instead of trying to stay in a safe, tried-and-true routine. This keeps your marriage feeling fresh and exciting.
- Put in some face time: Texting is great, phone calls are nice but for a healthy and happy marriage, you need some private face-to-face time where you can give each other all of your attention and talk about how your day went, unresolved issues and other things pertaining to your marriage.
- Let the little things go: When you’re married, there are countless things that can come up in your day-to-day life that you and your spouse can fight about. Choose your battles and save your energy for important issues instead of fighting about all of the little things.
- Know that honesty is the best policy: Being honest helps your partner trust you, and vice versa. Trust and honesty are core foundations for a strong and healthy marriage. Vow that you and your spouse will be honest with each other on all issues.