When going for a dinner or you are going on a date with that guy you just met or with a friend you just met. Here are the important tips on dinner table etiquette that will help you through any formal or semi formal lunch party or dinner party.
- Once seated, unfold your napkin and use it for occasionally wiping your lips or fingers. At the end of dinner, leave the napkin tidily on the place setting.
- It is good dinner table etiquette to serve the lady sitting to the right of the host first, then the other ladies in a clockwise direction, and lastly the gentlemen.
- Hold the knife and fork with the handles in the palm of the hand, forefinger on top, and thumb underneath.
- While eating, you may if you wish rest the knife and fork on either side of the plate between mouthfuls. When you have finished eating, place them side by side in the center of the plate.
- If the food presented to you is not to your liking, it is polite to at least make some attempt to eat a small amount of it. Or at the very least, cut it up a little, and move it around the plate!
- It is quite acceptable to leave some food to one side of your plate if you feel as though you have eaten enough. On the other hand, don’t attempt to leave your plate so clean that it looks as though you haven’t eaten in days!
- Desserts may be eaten with both a spoon and fork, or alternatively a fork alone if it is a cake or pastry style sweet.
- Should a lady wish to be excused for the bathroom, it is polite for the gentlemen to stand up as she leaves the table, sit down again, and then stand once more when she returns.
- Always make a point of thanking the host and hostess for their hospitality before leaving.
- It is good dinner table etiquette to send a personal thank you note to the host and hostess shortly afterwards.
Leave A Reply
Please follow and like us: